Chapel Hill, NC

This weekend was a great reminder that all good things come to an end-including spring break.


Nevertheless, I wanted to make the last two days of my spring break unforgettable, and what better way to do that than to invite one of your best friends over for a sleepover?
After a 9:00 cycling class and a nice practice session, I picked up Molly from East. So much has changed since I have been gone. It's evident that senioritis is starting to take its toll.



Molly gave me a wonderful cookbook for my 18th birthday, Cookie Love, written by pastry chefs Mindy Segal and Kate Leahy.



Molly & I decided to make pecan praline thumbprints (pg. 151).
It took us about 4 hours to prepare these. We had to pulse the pecan pieces and the sugar, make the cookie dough, and wait for it to chill.
While we were waiting, we made some triangle collage canvas art. My sister introduced me to this DIY. This DIY project is the perfect time killer! I decided to make a collage for Molly and vice versa. I would recommend this project to anyone!



We also watched an episode of Cupcake Wars while enjoying a vegetable pizza and a salad with a peanut dressing from Bon Appetít. The episode we watched was unique because it was an all vegan episode.
After the cookies chilled, we rolled up each batch, thumb printed them, put a batch in the oven, and repeated the process at least seven times. While the last batch was baking, Molly made the praline. She insisted because she wanted me to finish her collage.
There were some thumbprint cookies that were too thin to thumbprint through, which gave us a wonderful excuse to eat them! Salmonella, my foot!



After the last batch came out, we waited 10 minutes for the thumbprints to chill and poured the praline all over them. We made pralines with the leftover praline sauce, which we did not regret!
A family tradition of mine is to write comments in each recipe that we try. It helps us know if we liked the recipe or if we added any changes. This is especially helpful if we make the recipe a year later and we don't remember anything about it.
"Yummy mix of salty + sweet. This is a good praline recipe with the sauce alone. :) "-Molly
"They didn't rise as much as the photo depicts, but they were awesome!"-Kathryn
I believe that the thumbprints didn't rise as much because the recipe called for all-purpose flour, but being that most of my family's meals are gluten free, we didn't have enough flour. As a result, we had to resort to bread flour. But this did not affect the taste at all!
As soon as we finished our collages, we went to bed.



I was going to sleep on the floor, but there was a huge silverfish crawling around my room. Being that I didn't want that arthropod creeping all over my face, I slept on the couch in the living room instead.
We woke up at eight and decided to make pancake puff. My step grandma gave me the cookbook, Honest Pretzels, written by Mollie Katzen (coincidence?). This cookbook is written for children, so the recipes are simple and delicious! Through Honest Pretzels, Katzen taught me how to make many of my first recipes, including Pancake Puff.



When I was in seventh grade and still residing in the humid rainforests of Panamá, I would wake up early to surprise my family (and sometimes my neighbors) with a wonderful pan of pancake puff! Molly and I brought back my middle school tradition. Can we make #throwbacksaturday a thing please?



While drinking some Twinings English Breakfast tea, Molly helped me plan my graduation party. Hopefully, this will happen. Half an hour later, Reese and I had to walk Molly back to her house.
As soon as I got back, I jogged off those thumbprints and that pancake puff. There were so many bugs outside! What do I have to do to get them to hibernate for the next few months?
I had a nice practice session and finished the first season of Gossip Girl. I was so inspired by Georgina and Serena's "friendship", that I came up with this theory. But that can wait for another blog entry, which will be coming soon.


I had so much fun, both with Molly and during the Spring Break of 2016. I am feeling very refreshed for the busy week ahead of me. I have to play in five concerts next week, including the Anderson memorial. The viola studio has decided to play Bridge's Lament for two violas. The piece is melancholic and darkly consonant. Although I was only given the four page part yesterday, in order to honor Anderson, I am going to practice this piece until I feel confident about playing it on Friday.


I hope everyone has had a great Spring Break. If you had not had yours yet, know that you can make it! This is the home stretch, don't stop working until you make it! I have faith in you!





Comments

Popular Posts